Friday, May 28, 2010

Paul's First Cake

Yesterday I was out all day with Paul's sister, Anna, who also happens to be my favorite neighbor. We were down in KC doing all kinds of errands. It was a fun day but we both were tired on the way home. Once we reached Anna's house I called Paul and asked him to come pick me up. He said yes but we would have to hurry back home. Hmmmm......I wondered what was up.

A few minutes later I see a green Jetta coming down the dirt road. Ah....my husband!! He drove up grinning from ear to ear as if he hadn't seen me in a week. Pulling me into a big hug he again stressed the need to hurry. Ok, what is it? He said he couldn't tell me and that it was a surprise.

Now Paul can't keep a surprise to save his life. He gets all excited about it and always manages to tell me about it beforehand or show me what he has before he should. I got all my birthday presents the night before because he couldn't wait! Well, this time was no different. Before we had gone 100 feet down the road he blurted out, I made you a cake!! Really?! I was quite impressed. I asked him for details. He went on to explain how he had seperated the whites from the eggs and beat them till they were stiff. They looked just like how you make them...I was so proud of myself. He elaborated on how the batter looked too wet so he added more flour. I asked him what pan he had cooked it in. A pie dish. By this time I was eager to see the finished product. He informed me that he had put the cake in the oven just before leaving and it would be done by the time we got home.

Walking in the door I was greeted with a chocolate smell. Good so far! Paul pulled the cake out of the oven. Upon sticking a knife in the middle I proclaimed it done. It was quite a flat cake and not at all bad looking. Paul was so excited for me to try it. I made him wait until I got some pictures and then we cut into it. The cake stayed together very well. Too well. Uh oh.....it had fallen pretty badly. I tasted it. MMMM.....chocolate....and....flour! Paul's face fell in disappointment as he too tried it. This is terrible Mary! I planted a kiss on his cheek and assured him that I liked it and it was a good cake. You gotta love him! :) To read Paul's rendition on Facebook go to this LINK.


Here is the the recipe he followed. Its an Italian dessert.

My wonderful little baker with his creation..


Good job Paul! I love you.

No comments: